- 1 cup instant polenta (coarse cornmeal)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 10 strips bacon, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine cornmeal and buttermilk, cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in brown sugar.
- Whisk together eggs, honey, and melted butter.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, fold in corn. Do not overmix.
- Cook bacon pieces over medium heat until just crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a brown bag or paper towels. Pour reserved bacon fat into 13×9 baking dish, coating sides as well as the bottom thoroughly. Pop baking pan into preheated oven, 6 minutes.
- Pour batter into hot pan. Sprinkle bacon pieces over the top, pressing them lightly into the mix.
- Bake 45 minutes. Let stand to cool.