- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 Bosc pears
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch, round cake pan.
- Mix brown sugar and melted butter in a small bowl. Spread on the bottom of greased pan.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the pears. Arrange pear slices in on top of brown sugar mixture in a spiral.
- In a large bowl, cream together the granulated sugar and stick of butter with a hand mixer.
- Add eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas to the creamed sugar. Beat on medium speed for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- Slowly add flour mixture and milk to the banana mixture by alternating between the flour and milk. Beat slowly until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into cake pan, on top of the pears and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes.
- After five minutes, turn cake out onto a serving plate.