- 6 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups milk
- 5 ounces of crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, coarsely shredded
- 5 ounces corn tortilla chips
- Chopped Italian parsley
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add onion, and cook until onion just begins to soften, about a minute. Add mushrooms, then ground beef, then red pepper flakes. Increase heat to medium high, and cook until mushrooms give off their liquid, then evaporates, and ground beef browns. Add garlic, and cook for a minute more. Remove from heat, toss with reserved bacon, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, stir well, and cook until mixture begins to brown. Stir in milk, whisking constantly. Just as mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat, and slowly mix in both cheeses, setting aside a tablespoon of the blue cheese for garnish.
- To assemble nachos: Cover plate in a layer of chips, then add beef mixture, then cheese sauce. Add another layer of chips, then another layer of beef, then another layer of cheese. Top with reserved blue cheese crumbles and chopped parsley.
If your blue cheese bechamel gets too thick after you add the cheese, thin it out to a pourable consistency with a little more milk.