- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dry milk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 sour pickle, cut into eight slices
- 4 soft hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together egg, milk, ½ teaspoon paprika, and 2 tablespoons water.
- In another baking dish, whisk together both types of flour, dry milk, powdered sugar, baking soda, dry mustard, and remaining ½ teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat about two inches of peanut oil to 325 degrees in a heavy-bottomed pot or cast iron skillet.
- While oil heats, slice pickle, and set aside.
- Working in batches, dip chicken in the egg mixture, turning to coat, then dredge in flour mixture and shake off any excess.
- Fry the chicken in hot oil, using a candy thermometer to monitor oil temperature, until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Drain fried chicken on paper towels.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread the cut side of the buns with some butter, and lightly toast in the skillet, buttered-side down.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread grilled buns with more butter, dip 2 pickle slices in jarred pickle juice to moisten and place on the bottom bun.
- Top with a piece of fried chicken and the bun top.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 600
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 50
- Protein: 24
- Cholesterol: 109