For the spice rub:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
For the maple mustard syrup:
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 miniature frozen waffles
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/4 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Mexican crema our sour cream, to taste
- Sriracha hot sauce, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
For the Spice Rub:
- Combine garlic powder, celery salt, chili powder, paprika, and chipotle. Sprinkle evenly over chicken, tossing well so that chicken is coated on all sides with spice mixture.
For the Maple Mustard Syrup
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine maple syrup, brown mustard, and butter. Heat until butter melts and mixture bubble. Stir well, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Set up your dredging station: Flour on one plate, beaten egg on another. Toss seasoned chicken first in egg, then in flour. Working in batches, cook chicken pieces, turning occasionally, until chicken is brown and crunchy on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate.
- Prepare waffles according to package instructions. Break cooked waffles apart (if needed), and arrange eight waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle waffles with 1/4 of the grated cheese, then half of the chicken, then another 1/4 of the cheese. Add another layer of eight cooked waffles, then 1/4 of the cheese, then the other half of the chicken, then the remaining 1/4 of the cheese. Bake until cheese melts, about five minutes.
- Remove from oven, and drizzle finished nachos with maple mustard syrup, Mexican crema or sour cream, and Sriracha. Serve immediately.