- 1 lb slab of pork belly
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1/2 cup of Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and arrange oven racks in lower-third and upper-third positions.
- Cover a deep roasting pan or baking sheet with water, and place on the lower rack to catch the drippings from the pork belly.
- Make deep slices through the side of the pork belly, and push garlic cloves deep inside. Sprinkle the meat side of the pork belly with the Chinese five spice, and cover the top with the salt.
- Carefully transfer to oven (adding more salt if needed), cooking directly on top rack. Cook for one hour (adding more water to pan if needed), then knock salt crust off top of pork belly, and brush away excess. Increase oven temperature to 465 degrees, and continue cooking until top is brown and crusty, about 40 minutes more.
- Remove pork belly from oven, and let rest for about ten minutes before chopping into chunks and serving.