For the Yellow Cake:
- 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
For the topping:
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Generous handful shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a deep rectangular cake pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition. At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined. Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until each addition is just incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then tap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles. Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to puncture all over the surface of the cake. Combine condensed milk and coconut milk and pour over cake. Let the cake cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, gently whip up cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over cake in a wonderful heap then cover with a generous sprinkling of shredded coconut.
Adapted from a recipe by Smitten Kitchen.
- Serving Size: Serves 8-10