Today’s sandwich is the “Curried Chicken Sandwich.” It combines curry-brined grilled chicken breast, a fennel and red onion slaw, and fresh dill on grilled sourdough bread.
Notes: You know how The People Who Know About Food Who Are On TV (TPWKAFWAOTV) are constantly talking about the notion of “layering flavor?” That’s just a buzzwordy way of describing cooking. Guy Fieri uses the term almost constantly on his show where he tastes different food and then repeats their exact ingredients back to camera, all while pushing the boundaries of appropriate cranial sunglasses-placement, as does Giada DeLaurentis, on her show about what happens when you have a shark’s mouth installed in a human head.
Here’s the thing: Almost ALL cooking involves “layering flavor,” which you and I know by the less-jargony description of “combining lots of things so they don’t taste like just one thing.” Or maybe more specifically, the act of combining flavors with additional complimentary flavors, like when you saute onions with leeks, pepper, and thyme. You already had plenty of flavor from just the onions, but you complimented those flavors with additional flavors. That’s just cooking, right?
This is all just a long-winded way of introducing today’s sandwich, which layers flavor like crazy, or to paraphrase Jay-Z, “Stacks flavor like a food inspector.” Excellent sandwiches always balance texture, proportion, and yes, flavor, and this sandwich is a perfect example. The curry-brined chicken is perfect partners with the crunchy fennel-and-onion slaw, and the fresh dill from our garden adds a fresh, zippy finish. We couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate the kickoff of National Sandwich Month, and we hope you think so, too:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), halved horizontally
- 1/2 quart buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, plus more for serving
- 8 slices Sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 big sprigs fresh dill
- Combine chicken , buttermilk, Kosher salt, pepper, curry, cumin, and turmeric in a large resealable plastic bag, seal, and turn to coat. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Combine celery, fennel, sour cream, lemon juice, celery seeds, and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set slaw aside.
- Grill chicken until cooked through, 5–7 minutes per side. Brush bread on both sides with oil and grill until toasted, about 2 minutes per side; spread with mayonnaise. Build sandwiches with bread, chicken, slaw, onion, and fresh dill.
Adapted from a recipe by Bon Appetit.