- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 oz mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup cubed fontina cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 lb egg noodles
- In a large sauté pan over a medium-high flame, heat olive oil. Add mushrooms to the pan, stir frequently, 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, paprika. Add half the butter, the shallots and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Pour in chicken stock and wine and let the sauce come to a simmer. Stir in the fontina cheese and allow it to melt. Add the remaining butter, Asiago, basil, parsley, and thyme. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions in salted water. Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup cooking liquid. In the cooking pot combine egg noodles and sauce. Sauce with thicken as it stands. Serve with dry white wine and green salad.
Adapted from a recipe in the New York Times Cook Book.