Remember the night you learned how much you like drinking rye Manhattans? After your fourth, you decided that you were somehow impervious to the effects of alcohol; that ordinary whiskey was no match for your perfectly-engineered metabolism, your stunning good looks, your piercing wit, and your Herculean strength and fighting prowess. But oh, woe is the next day, when your stomach is turning burny, acidy somersaults, and you wake up dreaming of nothing more delicious than a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich, of filling your stomach with greasy, gentle, plain food.
Instead of making another sad bowl of buttered egg noodles, or punishing your digestive tract with two-for-one Cellulose McMuffins, try this sandwich, next time. It’s soothing. Creamy. Calming, even. It’s got lots of fat (both the good and the bad kind). It’s got a barely-medium-set egg. You could even add bacon to it, if you’d like. It will calm the fire within, and you’ll live to fight another day.
Fried Egg, Avocado, and Cream Cheese Sandwich
Makes 1 sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Fry egg until yolk is just set, but still a tiny bit runny, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread both slices of bread with cream cheese. Top with sliced avocado, and add fried egg. Close sandwich, and butter outside of both sides with remaining butter.
- Toast sandwich until golden brown, turning occasionally. Serve, and then take a nap.