We’ve been refining our ground lamb burgergame since the very beginning of this blog, trying all kinds of different breads, sauces, and types of vegetables, searching for the perfect way to translate flavorful lamb into burger form. It’s harder than it sounds; lamb has a tendency to dry out, so in addition to being careful not to overcook it, we always try to pair our lamb burgers with plenty of tangy, creamy sauce, to save the day if the lamb does happen to get a little overdone.
One of our favorite new shortcuts to lamb burger bliss is to mix up one of four varieties of Mezzetta Everything Spread (it comes in Garlic & Parmesan, Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil, Olive, Garlic & Parmesan and Hot Chili Pepper varieties) with equal parts mayonnaise. Boom: Instant burger topping, that oozes into all the nooks and crannies of your griddled patty.
What else are we using to top our Greek-style lamb burger? A few cucumber curls and a fat slice of red onion provide a nice base for the lamb burger to rest on, and then we carve a thick slab of feta to go on top. And of course, we spread our Mezzetta Olive, Garlic, and Parmesan mayo on both sides of the butter-toasted bun.
Finally! No more prep work! A busy weeknight dinner, without sacrificing flavor in exchange for a quick meal. Every jar of Mezzetta Everything Spread is packed with flavor and can be used in…well…everything! Just mix it, toss it, blend it, stir it, spread it, top it or dip it!
- 1-1/2 pounds of ground lamb
- 1 bunch of Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Kaiser or hamburger rolls
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Mezzetta Everything Spread (Olive, Garlic, and Parmesan)
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 cucumber, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 4 thick slices feta cheese
- 2 cups washed arugula
- In a bowl, combine ground lamb, garlic, and parsley. Mix well to combine, then divide equally into four bun-sized burger patties. Press into the middle of each one with the palm of your hand, leaving an indentation so that the burgers won't inflate and shrink as they cook. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and Mezzetta Everything Spread. Stir well and set aside.
- In a cast iron skillet over high heat, warm olive oil until it almost starts to smoke. Cook burgers for three minutes per side, or until brown and well-crusted. Remove from pan and allow to rest while you prepare the burgers.
- For each burger, spread both sides of bun with Mezzetta and mayo blend. Top bottom bun with a slice of onion, followed by the shaved cucumbers. Top with a lamb burger patty, then a slice of feta, a half a cup of arugula, then the top half of the bun. Serve immediately.
The good people at Mezzetta are giving away a GINORMOUS gift basket of Mezzetta products to one lucky From Away reader. To enter, simply answer the following question in the comments below: “What is your favorite kitchen shortcut?” We’ll pick a winner at random (and if you want another chance to win, you can enter directly on Mezzetta’s website, as well). Good luck!