- 6 slices Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 slices Sargento cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Sargento Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter slices of bread on both sides and bake 4 minutes a side.
- In a medium pot over medium heat melt remaining butter and add onions and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, until translucent. Add bay leaf, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in tomato paste and reduce the heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring. Slowly whisk in the milk and cream. Bring the sauce to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Ladle in some sauce and whisk to temper. Slowly pour this into the rest of the sauce, until well combined.
- In an 8 x 8 baking pan layer the bread and cheese. Pour sauce over and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.