- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup cold Crisco
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cups of milk
- 1 roasted chicken
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups frozen carrots
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 crushed chicken bullion cube
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
For the Crust
- [url href=”https://mealhack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/12-1024×680.jpg”][/url]
- Sift flour and salt into large mixing bowl. Cut in butter and shortening using a pastry cutter until pea-sized balls form.
- [url href=”https://mealhack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/22-1024×680.jpg”][/url]
- Beat egg yolk, setting aside the white. Beat egg yolk into the milk. Slowly add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, continuously tossing with a fork until all milk has been added. The dough will form large clumps rather than coming together into one piece of dough.
- Divide in half and form two balls of dough. Place in refrigerator until ready to roll out.
- Start by picking apart the roasted chicken and putting the meat in a large mixing bowl. I like to pick up a rotisserie chicken to make it quick and easy. Add frozen veggies to the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
- [url href=”https://mealhack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/32-1024×680.jpg”][/url]
- In a deep skillet melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until a thin paste forms.
- Slowly add in the milk and then chicken broth, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth with no lumps. When you first add the milk, a thick paste will form which is normal. Just keep adding the liquids and whisking.
- Once mixture is smooth, remove from heat. Add bullion cube, salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage and rosemary to mixture and whisk until incorporated. Pour the gravy over the chicken mixture, toss and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out one ball of dough and line a deep 9 inch pie plate. Fill with chicken and gravy mixture. Roll out second dough ball and cover the pie plate. Crimp edges and cut away excess dough. Brush the top crust with the egg white that you set aside. Cover the outer edges with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the tin foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately.