- 1 pound ground lamb
- 4 slices of white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add milk to a shallow bowl. Dip each piece of bread in the milk, then lightly squeeze out excess. Break into chunks and place in a large bowl.
- Add the lamb, onions, oregano, mint, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper in the bowl with the bread and then mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out meat mixture into balls 2 – 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Working in batches, cook the lamb keftedes in a skillet with the vegetable oil over high heat, flattening slightly with a spatula, until browned well on both sides. Transfer seared keftedes to a baking sheet, then transfer to oven. Bake until brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve with tzatziki or Greek yogurt and lemon wedges.