- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper, flakes or 1 small red chile, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted (or whatever nuts you have- I use pecans if that’s all I can find. Almonds work too)
- 1/4 cup whole-grain bread crumbs (I just make a few slices of toast from whole grain bread and pre-crumb them in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 to 3 roasted red peppers
- 1/2 to 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Using a hand blender or a food processor, puree the chile flakes, cumin, garlic, walnuts, bread crumbs, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, tomato paste, and red peppers to a smooth, even consistency.
- Mix in the warm water in increments to achieve an easily spreadable consistency similar to a thick yogurt. If you’re going to use it for dipping, you might want to leave it a bit thicker.
- Stir in the salt and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 207
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 15
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0