- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 heaping tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 5–6 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare loaf pans with butter.
- Bring the 2 cups of water to an almost-boil. Whisk in the cornmeal and salt and cook for 5 minutes, making sure there are no clumps. Remove from heat. Add molasses and butter and allow the mixture to cool. Meanwhile, mix yeast with warm water. Pour that into the pot. Add the flour gradually, mixing well after each cup.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Set the bowl in a warm spot and allow it to rise until it doubles in size. Punch down and form into loaves. Cover the loaves in their pans and allow the dough to rise again. Bake 30-40 minutes. Brush the top of the loaves with melted butter.