- 4 Honey Crisp apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup sweet apple cider
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Gruyere, grated
- 1 tablespoon spicy Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss apples with olive oil on a baking sheet, pop in the oven for 20 minutes, turning them after 10.
- In a large soup pot heat vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; sauté slowly, about 10 minutes. Stir the roasted apples into the vegetables. Pour in broth, cider, and milk. Stir in cheese and mustard. Bring to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and simmer on low, 15 minutes. Allow the soup to cool then blend until very smooth with an immersion (or in a regular) blender.