- 1 baguette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
For the Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 cup sweet white wine
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 3 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Set your oven to a low broil.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the baguette into thin slices, arrange in a single layer on the cookie sheet, brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.
- Place under the broiler until a light golden brown and cheese just begins to bubble, 2-5 minutes depending on your oven. Leave the broiler on.
- In a large skillet that can be transferred to the oven, saute the red pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil until the peppers are translucent.
- Very carefully add the wine to the pan and simmer until the wine is reduced by nearly half.
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, capers, sugar and Parmesan to to sauce and simmer on low for 5-10 minutes until the Parmesan is fully melted.
- Cover the top of the sauce with mozzarella slices and place skillet under the broiler until the mozzarella is melted and beginning to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped basil on top and drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of oil oil over dip. Serve with crostinis.