- 2 1/4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 3 ounces dried ancho chilies
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs pork chorizo, casings removed (about 4 or 5)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 ball of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Salt and black pepper
- To garnish: Grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, fresh cilantro
- Combine first three ingredients in saucepan. Cover and simmer until chilies soften and broth turns dark red, about 10 minutes. Puree mixture in food processor. Strain mixture through mesh strainer, pressing on solids until all liquid is drained.
- Cook chorizo in a large pot over medium heat until drippings flow freely. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin, and saute until chorizo starts to brown and onions soften, about five minutes.
- Crumble lamb into pot, and add salt and pepper. Saute until lamb is no longer pink. Add chili liquid, and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for one hour.
- Add drained pinto beans and simmer until thick, about 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream, green onions, grated cheddar, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 824
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 1520
- Fat: 57
- Saturated Fat: 23
- Unsaturated Fat: 30
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26
- Protein: 51
- Cholesterol: 176