- 5 medium-large red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1 pound ham steak
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Wash and dice potatoes, leaving the skins on. Add to boiling water.
- While potatoes are cooking, cut ham steak into small cubes and fry in a medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Set aside. There is no need to worry about the temperature of the ham at this point since the steak is already pre-cooked and will be going in the oven shortly.
- When potatoes are fork-tender, drain and pour into an 8×8 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low-medium heat. Once butter is melted, add flour, whisking quickly until incorporated. Mixture will resemble a pale brown paste. Slowly add milk, constantly whisking. Stir in garlic powder and pepper.
- Slowly add in cheddar cheese, whisking until cheese is fully melted. Remove from heat. Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and mix together using a large spoon. Sprinkle ham chunks over potato and cheese mixture and top with mozzarella slices.
- Cook in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Turn broiler on high and broil until cheese begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Watch closely while the broiler is on. Every oven is different and the cheese can burn quickly.