- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet white onion, diced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Squeeze of lime, optional
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potato, apple, ginger and chipotle powder and stir to combine.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and cover, cooking on low, 45 minutes.
- When the potatoes are very soft, blend until smooth.
- Pour in chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Season with salt to taste.
- If desired, add a squeeze of lime.