- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ lb. loose hot Italian sausage
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup stock
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby kale
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups Gruyere, grated
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil over squash. Place cut side down in a baking pan and cook, 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet, season sausage with salt and bay leaf, brown over medium-high heat. Remove to a large bowl.
- Turn down heat to medium-low and add stock, stirring up sausage bits from the bottom of the pan. Add onion and cook, 2-3 minutes. Add kale, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, wilt. Combine with sausage.
- Remove squash from the oven and carefully scoop out ¾ of the flesh. Incorporate into sausage and kale. Taste and season with salt, if necessary.
- Return mixture to the hollowed-out squash halves.
- Top with grated Gruyere cheese.
- Change the oven setting to broil and put the baking pan with the squash in, 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and brown.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 634
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 841
- Fat: 47
- Saturated Fat: 18
- Unsaturated Fat: 26
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Protein: 28
- Cholesterol: 109