- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups Maine wild blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 and prepare a deep pie dish by greasing with butter. In a blender or food processor, whiz up melted butter, buttermilk, 1/2 the sugar, egg yolks, flour and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment whip egg whites into soft peaks. Add the remainder of the sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Gently but thoroughly fold egg whites into batter. Fold in blueberries. Pour into prepared dish. Sit pie dish in a larger baking pan filled with water. Bake for 50 minutes, until the top is browned and the enter of the cake is a little jiggly. Cool on a baking rack, then cover and place in fridge for 2-3 hours. Keep this pudding cake refrigerated.
Adapted from a recipe by Mark Bittman.
- Serving Size: Serves 6